Share | 

47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:54 pm

One of my regular clients gave me a 47ft Watson hull and superstructure and asked if it would be possible to produce a 46ft 9in Watson with the early, open, centre steering position. Like an idiot I said why not!! As long as he remembered that the hull would be 3/4in too long I would give it a go.

The superstructure has been consigned to the spares box as the required one is totally different in shape. This means that the deck opening is also incorrect, so the deck also had to go!

Hull as received.

Hull and deck now separated after 1/2 hour with the angle grinder.

Large clamps now allow the hull to be gently pulled in to the required 12in beam and a set of beams glued in place to hold the setting.

The propshafts have also been fitted in place with discs used to maintain the clearance in the tunnels.

The deck support beams have now been completed and the hull is maintaining its new shape.

A card template was taped to the hull and the new hole in the deck plotted from the GA drawings I have in my files.

The template was then used to cut the hole in the new deck which had been glued in place and a new coaming fitted to the inside edge. The motor mounting plate was also fitted and the motors check fitted to ensure they did not foul the bottom of the cockpit.

Now we come to the tricky part! The new wheelhouse. An extruded polystyrene ( the stuff they use to make model aircraft wings ) block was glued up to size for the front section.

The shape for the side view was marked on ready for shaping.

After several hours of cutting and sanding the former is ready.

Glass fibre mat and resin was moulded over the foam (protected by cling film) and when set given a coat of fine surface filler, sanded to give a smooth finish.

After 24 hours to cure the new wheelhouse front was removed from the former......... Success!!

The engine room bulkhead and cockpit floor trimmed and check fitted.

The front sides of the engine room casing bonded to the front of the wheelhouse.

More soon.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 pm

where do you buy the foam from mike, what do you use to glue it together, and what do you use to shape it.

think I'll be using that after I've finished the ferry to make the superstructure and pattern for the pump gear for the steam lifeboat I am going to mould and build next.

great start to your new model as well.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I like your work Mike. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 am

And yet another inspirational build, thanks for sharing, keep up the good work 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:13 pm

HERE WE GO AGAIN....

Thumbup

gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:46 pm

nhp651 wrote:
where do you buy the foam from mike, what do you use to glue it together, and what do you use to shape it.

think I'll be using that after I've finished the ferry to make the superstructure and pattern for the pump gear for the steam lifeboat I am going to mould and build next.

great start to your new model as well.

I bought the sheet from a local model shop who used it for making wargames scenery, not the cheapest but works well with a small hand held belt sander, 60 grit hand sanding paper, small delta (triangular!) sander, carving knife, hot wire cutter etc..... I glue up the blocks with Gorilla Glue (the PVA variety not the brown foamy urethane stuff) that I use for all my builds these days, except the wood to grp joints when the Gorilla foamy style is almost unbreakable. The only problem when gluing up blocks is that as it isn't porous it takes at least 48 hours to go off before you can cut/shape it.

If you can't get the blue foam (sometimes it's pink!!) that they use for making aircraft wings then take a trip to Wickes DIY stores, they sell a closed cell urethane foam called CELOTEX in Very large and smaller 4'x2' sheets (about £5 a sheet if my memory serves).It's a little softer than the blue stuff but finishes well. This has an aluminium foil on one side that needs to be peeled off when making the blocks. This can also be glued the same as the extruded polystyrene lots of glue, lots of weights and lots of waiting time but the results are as you have seen above. If you mould over the foam then cover the foam with cling film, then a couple of layers of torn up wet newspaper glued in place to give a smooth surface to the inside of the moulding followed be the resin and glass matting followed by the fine surface easy sand body filler. SIMPLES!!
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Forgot to mention that if you need to use filler on the surface of the POLYSTYRENE foam then use a water based filler. No problems with the urethane foam.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 pm

The foam block for the rear cabin section has been made and shaped and a moulding taken just as was done for the front section.

This is the Watson cabin moulding as was delivered to me.

Here we have the two sections of the wheelhouse in place in the new deck opening. They will be joined together later after the cockpit area has been detailed and finished.

Picture of the two mouldings side by side showing the amount of alteration needed to produce the 46ft 9in Watson.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:27 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 pm

thanks for the info mike..........and the new top looks superb.

looking forward as usual to it all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson   

Back to top Go down

47ft Watson becomes a 46ft 9in Watson
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Lifeboats-
Jump to: