TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Twin motors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Do two motors work alright on one ESC. All my boats are single screw so I have never tried it and I don't want to go down the road of tank steering. I can get into enough trouble just using a rudder Laughing

Alan
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 6:51 am

Alan

Yes for brushed motors. With brushless you need one ESC per motor.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Many thanks Barrie Thumbup

Alan
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Yes you can... but be aware of the motor AMP draw... if both motors at load and the esc isn't rated to handle the current you will blow the ESC.

MY recommendation is as follows... be aware you can use larger ESCS to avoid incidents.

For 2x 400 sized motors ( usually drawing around 5 amps each under stall conditions) then a single 15amp esc can be used with out fail.

For 2x 540/555 motors  ( will draw up to 11 amps per motor on stall and as well as initial start up ) then a 25amp ( but 30 would be best) ESC is recommended.

For 600/700 and 800 sized motors then i suggest single escs only! ( amp draws are anywhere between 25/40 amps for each motor at these sizes)

You also do not need to use 1 esc for both motors if you wish to be safe and run both motors with their own esc, you simply need to disconnect one of the ESC BEC wire from the connector, and link both esc's leads to a Y harness which u can then plug to the receiver. giving you the same control on both motors, so not tank steering, if tank steering is wanted then you can use 2 esc's, one for each motor and just buy an aftermarket mixer unit.( this is also a better solution as if one esc fails you have a back up driving the boat) 

Other solutions for twin motor control would be to look at ACTions P94 and P94 lite. availible from hppt://www.thecomponantshop.co.uk

For BRUSHLESS motors then each motor requires its own ESC.. no exceptions with present technology.

RR

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:42 pm

as an addition to roadrunners , I would also suggest a fuse being added to each live lead from motor to the Y lead of lower capacity than the esc, in case one motor fouls on something in the lake.
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 pm

If you want Chapter and Verse on the subject, have a read of this.  http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Twins%20Ver2.pdf
If you do use one ESC for both motors (which I don't recommend) then be sure to wire them in parallel and not in series.
DM
Back to top Go down

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 4:45 pm

I've always found it not only easier, given my very low understanding of sparks, that fitting an esc for each engine is easier, and not a great deal more expensive anyway..........and far more pleasurable to "play" with as well, with more manoeuvrability.

neil.
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Now that's what I do recommend, even if you connect up the two ESCs to one Rx channel via a Y-lead. While you're at it, use a separate battery for each motor and you have a pretty fail-safe set-up - in that if one motor or battery or ESC fails then you have the other to get your model back in.
DM
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Thank you all for the in-depth replies and the link from you Dave, I now have a headache Laughing

I am going to go down the route of two motors with two ESCs and a Y lead, if the boat isn't manoeuvrable enough, I will then fit a mixer, not sure if there is enough room for two separate batteries though.

Just in case you all where wondering, the boat is the Lady T with two T4A motors running on 12 volts, not really sure about the size of props though, drawing says 45 to 55  4 blades, so I was going to get 50mm 4 blades unless anyone tells me different before I go to Blackpool at the weekend.

Thanks again Thumbup

Regards Alan
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 8:26 am

Those T4's are power hungry heat monsters!, just be careful with the prop sizes, although they will easily throw a 55mm 4 blade, your power supply will suffer.

In all honesty your better off with buying Actions P94 which gives you all the functions you were to buy seperatly, and comes in a single unit making installation easier.

Price wise.... after buying 2 esc's and a mixer individually, the p94 works out about the same but hastle free, less wires, less headaches and serviceable if they go wrong!

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p94-dual-esc-and-mixer-2-x-20-amps.html  (2x20amp esc version)

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p94l-dual-esc-and-mixer-2-x-10-amp.html   (2x10amp esc version)

Data sheet here with instructions on use.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf

AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks RR, I have a lot of Dave's gear in other boats and I agree it is good stuff and that a mixer would be the way to go, but I already have one ESC and have just had another one of the same, given to me.

So that is the way I am going at the moment, thanks for your input RR

Regards Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Twin motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin motors   Twin motors Empty

Back to top Go down

Twin motors
Page 1 of 1