Design & Build Part 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Design & Build Part 1   Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Today I start a new project.

Designing a model from scratch starting with home drawn plans from information gathered using the net.
As far as i'm aware there are no plans for this boat, in full size or model.

This build is a guide to those who don't know how to do technical drawings, or sometimes can't always understand them, this should help!.
This is also for those who want to see a concept become a reality!

There is a working 'shelf' model built which i have seen and am in contact with the builder, much of his model has been built 'by eye' and although a very nice model in its detailing is unable to sail due to weight issues, making his model unrealistic to base a working model on, there will be drastic differences in areas to combat his failings, his is also built to a much larger scale making it also different in many aspects!

More details to follow on his work later.

Mine will be planned and scaled to 1:24th scale making a model approx 500mm long 200mm wide and support electric drive, construction will be planed around plastic card and wood/plys and their construction techniques, there is no reason why other materials cannot be used and i will note as i progress. 

The final plans can be blown up to 1:!2 for those wishing to use a 3 or 4" live steam boiler.

Much of the planning will be using known techniques in the model world and hopefully keeping as much detail in as possible, this boat will however fall under my rule of 'sacrifice for practicality' and in models that's a very true saying (and why so many great models end up as displays not working models!)

The model will be designed to be practical to build but give sufficient detail to be more then satisfied with it.

I will en-devour to design much from my own head keeping it as original as possible, but as with many things ideas are not always your own that end up in builds. 

You must forgive that! 

I will credit those ideas as and when or if they are used!

Should the design and overall build go to plan, then the full plans can be obtained from me in the future.

The model is based of a working vessel of the 1900's which saw service transporting goods and materials in the states, its a stern wheel steam paddler more details of the boat will be revealed as the blogs progress, i will divulge history best i can as it goes, there isn't much on this boat and I've had to work with a single grainy photo and snippets of information scurried about web pages, making what i have Best guess!

As with all plans corrections will be needed, so what you will see will always be rough first drafts with rough dimensions!, final drawings with exact dimensions will be produced at end stages (those you will not see, unless you buy copy's later!) , as i plan to construct the model as i draw it up, although i expect planning will take more lead then building, this means in the progress of the blog you'll watch the model take shape in stages and the next part of the designing will not be displayed until sections of the boat are built, this should keep things simple!

This won't be a quick affair, i still have other boats to finish which i'll do between this one i expect a couple of years until completion, however i hope this can give some of you guys inspiration to go out and design and build yourself! and for those interested in rough drafts of parts for your own builds, feel free to contact me! 

Now to begin!

RR

Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Design & Build Part 1   Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I could have started anywhere... hull, super structure... anywhere  Suspect

Probably not... This is for you Barrie and hope that this makes things easier for trying your hand!

The boat being a paddle steamer has one big thing.. its paddle wheel. Unlike the Wrigly plans which I've studied this boat uses rudders and not the twin tank steering option, making it a single long ( wide ) paddle, the entire of the boat's 'frame work' needs to fit around this piece of machinery, so I've decided to start there, get this part right and the rest should be easy!

This paddle wheel is a very simple version, so the feathering method is not needed, think more like an old water wheel, going off the image i have looks to been cast in many parts.

The current design is kept simple using squared sections although the paddle 'stems' bracers? are actually tapered, to which later those will be corrected on the plans.

So for now I've mocked up an initial design and an expanded view ( with its drawn progress) which i'll have to redo as there is already a large error, but it dose give you a decent idea of where i'm heading, and what to expect on the final plans aiding through construction, i expect these will be in a construction guide to accompany the final plans

mistakes will happen good thing its on paper not on the model yet!

Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Design & Build Part 1   Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:42 am

Good start Mate.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Design & Build Part 1   Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Progress is still happening with this but I'm also now in the process of finishing my outstanding projects, namely the Jenny and the springer.. Keep checking back for updates.

I also working on taking the basic plan of the stern wheel construction to now incorporate the correct tapers to the spars as well as the outer 'cast ring' details.

Again note this will be a long drawn out affair until I can bring those projects up todate ( basically in tired of seeing 3 half builds on my shelf!) 

lol!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Design & Build Part 1   

Back to top Go down

Design & Build Part 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: Other Technical Questions-
Jump to: