TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SS Redshanks

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks Damien - as usual it will look OK on the water.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Got a few more fittings glued today, but more importantly, tapered the mast and started fitting the railings. First two sets on the forecastle are fitted ready for painting when the CA glue has gone off properly. These went rather more easily than I had expected. I had to open out the holes with a 0.75 mm bit, then I used cold stretched brass wire which is about 0.7 mm diameter, all fixed with CA. I will not be trying to go round any corners though  Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0235 SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0236
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 1:54 am

Don't berate yourself Barrie your work always looks good
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 7:42 am

I agree with Damien 2thumbsup I always like following your builds Barrie, the railings look very nice  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks guys, but if you want to see what this model can look like, check out this build on the Deans Forum. 

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=132.msg1267#msg1267

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 10:50 am

Damien wrote:
Don't berate yourself Barrie your work always looks good

I agree, Barrie your work is always a pleasure to watch and you build faster then most of us!

The biggest problem you face when you do a deans kit is that you end up having to fix everything!
You can't compare one build to another becuase everyone is different In their ideas and methods.

It takes a real gardener to make a weed into a rose, and that's what you have done so be proud of your achivments.

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2016 1:01 pm

All the railings are now complete - and have been painted since I took this photo.

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0237

I have also glazed the bridge so I should be able to fix the roof next session. I have been thinking about the mast and boom - particularly about a way of making it possible to move the boom out of the way to allow access to the hold for the battery etc. I think I might experiment with magnets. I have a selection of small high powered ones which I think I could insert into bit of plastic tube.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Here we go - my last update before I head off for a couple of weeks. Trust me to start my holidays just as the weather begins to improve Rolling Eyes 
Redshanks is now almost complete. All that remains is to add some rigging for the mast and boom, and hopefully some names for the bow. I did cut some 4mm high ones which were too big - even a little too big for the stern, so I will try 3mm. I've never successfully cut anything less than 6mm previously, but I've got a new blade and a new cutting mat, so watch this space Laughing Laughing .

I am not at all happy with the bridge, but I couldn't see a way to remake it, but after my holiday I may have a go.
The whole model also needs a coat of satin varnish to unify the finishes, and hide some of the adhesive marks - again a job for after my holidays.

Barrie

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0238 SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0239 SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0240
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 10:35 pm

glorious mate.....I love the old coasters, and she is great and a lovely build 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 12:59 am

Looks real good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 9:17 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks guys - I hope to finish it next week after I've caught up with all the jobs post holiday.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 12:58 pm

I have finally found time to complete Redshanks. All that was left was the rigging for the mast and boom, and the lettering for the bows. I successfully cut some 3mm high letters just before I went on holiday, and these have now been applied. This is the first time I have managed to cut letters so small, and they look good. I think I have now reached the lower limit for my cutter - anything smaller and it would be impossible to weed the letters(remove bits like the centre of an O).
I have kept the rigging simple as at this scale its very fiddly. I did find some small blocks which are better than those supplied in the kit.
I still have to ballast the model, and I want to change the Rx if there is room. It currently has a very small DSM2 receiver, but I really need to limit the throw on the steering servo, so if I can fit it in, I will use a Flysky receiver as that Tx allows me to set end points. Just waiting for it to come from somewhere in Asia Laughing

I've still got lots of painting to do in the house so it will be a while before I start a new project. At the moment I don't really know what I want to build.

Barrie

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0242 SS Redshanks - Page 2 Dscn0241
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Welldone bud another great model finished  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Finally got Redshanks ballasted (quite tricky finding space) and balanced. Took it to the lake last Sunday and she sails quite well. I used the end point adjustment on my Tx to avoid her planing and she looks good on the water.

A rather poor photo - I still haven't mastered taking photos and sailing the boat. Crying or Very sad

Barrie

SS Redshanks - Page 2 Img_2010
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 am

spot on  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 am

You've done a super job of this ship as usual Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SS Redshanks   SS Redshanks - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SS Redshanks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Any Other Models-
Jump to: