TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!

Go down 
+2
gribeauval
Thommo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Thommo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  Empty
PostSubject: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi. I'm new to this forum but looking for some advice on repairing a billings calypso. I just bought it from eBay and it needs alot of work! That's fine as I'm prepared to invest time into it. However there are two cracks in the hull. One at the rear and one at the front. Looks like it's been dropped! The rear crack is from the deck down the corner of the hull about 2 inches in length. The front is at the base of the hull where it connects to what looks like a forward ballast. Access to the rear crack is ok but the front is an exterior repair only. Suggestions very welcome!
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard. 2thumbsup

First thing, is the hull made from wood, plastic or grp?? as they will all need a different approach to the repair.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Thommo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm

ABS plastic. Not sure how to upload pics at the mo!
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Squeeze the crack together until it closes up, using tape, and then use EMA Plastic Weld to seal the crack and then keep it closed up overnight to harden off. It works by dissolving the edges of the parts into each other just like welding steel.

Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  Index11

Mike
Back to top Go down
Thommo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Great. Many thanks. Any advice for the front as I think that's going to need a filler? Any suggestions as to a good filler to use?
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:39 pm

I use a fine, easy sand two part car body filler.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptyMon May 02, 2016 6:26 am

Hi Thommo - welcome to the Forum. If you need help posting photos, there is a detailed description in the Welcome section. The second topic details the process. On this Forum there is no restriction on files sizes, so the process is really quite simple.
The Forum software does keep getting changed, so the fine detail of the process may be a little different to that spelled out, but the principle is the same.
I will review the post and try to update it.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptyMon May 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Plastic weld is the best solution for the fix in the cracks, however i do suggest that on the inside of the hull take some 0.5mm plastic card and weld that over the internal crack using the plastic weld,(plaster the joining plastic card in weld and hold it into position over the crack)  this should stop the crack from reopening should the model take a knock or two. 

Body filler is the best to use to cover up defects and fill pits but it goes rock solid and can flake off over time from general movement of the hull (especially plastic hulls they are flimsy as sin) so you need to reduce movement over those areas where cracks are hence applying the plastic card internally as a joiner, this not only allows the crack to be filled correctly but firms up those sections to reduce the filler from flaking off or cracking later on and ruining what could be a nice paint finish.

RR

John Mantova
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Cracks in hull   Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptySat Jun 11, 2016 4:44 am

Plastic Magic is also very good Glues just about any type of plastic. ABS is also  fixed by using plumbers pipe weld glue .Spread the crack a bit and press in the glue then close the gap and tape it closed. It also has some gap filling ability too.Using the plasticard also helps as well
Back to top Go down
stafen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 6:19 am

Thommo wrote:
Great. Many thanks. Any advice for the front as I think that's going to need a filler? Any suggestions as to a good filler to use?
Best reply as I mention it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!    Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with renovation job - cracks in Hull!
Page 1 of 1