TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Magnetic Clamps

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 am

While perusing ebay the other day I came across some Neodymium block rare earth magnets, I hadn't a clue these even existed and it gave me an idea. I remembered seeing the magnetic clamps that Barrie has and after seeing the price of these clamps I could not resist the challenge, I just had to have a go at making some.

I bought some 20mm x 10mm x 5mm magnets at approx. £1.40p each and a 200mm x 200mm piece of 10mm Acrylic sheet, cost about £6.
Magnetic Clamps SAM_2338_zps9mntw24u

I used my new Proxxon table saw to cut some bits of Acrylic sheet to the desired size (only made one fopaux).And set a magnets in two to start with, more to follow.
Magnetic Clamps SAM_2343_zpsbvg41jve

Here are the resulting first pair 2thumbsup
Magnetic Clamps SAM_2339_zpsqbsiprct

Magnetic Clamps SAM_2341_zpsryfqd9pf

Magnetic Clamps SAM_2342_zpsqm5oj7rv
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:04 am

Very Nice Thumbup They look to be a  bit bigger than the ones I bought, which will be better for boat building. Mine were designed for model railways and are not always big enough to handle boat size structures.
I do have some very ferocious magnets - might have a go at making some.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Barrie, on the York Modelmaking site they do quite a few different types and sizes I am going to make some variations on this one as well. Your clamps are I think just over 30mm mine are about 45mm.

I got the Acrylic sheet from ebay but you could always use wood, but they wouldn't be as tough though.

Yes have a go, it's just a bit time consuming but I think worth it for the satisfaction I got from making them. If you do make some would you post some pictures on this thread please.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 am

Yes - I notice they now list different sizes, but they are expensive. When I bought mine they just had the two types. Its not top of my priority list, but I may get round to making some - it would use the magnets I bought for hatch fixings but are way too powerful for that.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Paul,

OK - having said it wasn't top of the list, here is my version. I have started planking my hull, so lots of waiting for glue to dry - I'm using aliphatic at the moment, though may switch to CA.

These are made from 4 pieces of 1.5mm plasticard. Each side is 4mm. The two inner layers have a hole cut to accommodate the magnet. Not as neat as the acrylic  but cheaper - these were from the scrap box Thumbup

The photo includes one of the magnets. To give an idea of the strength, when I was returning one to the stack of 5, it slipped and the force of attraction was sufficient to crack it in half.

Barrie

photo 100_1054_zps9yr113xh.jpg
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 6:35 pm

They are awkward little B's, they have a tendency to fly at anything made of steel, it does say in the leaflet they shatter if they hit each other.

Yes your idea is probably a lot quicker to make, I hadn't thought of alternative materials but now you have me thinking, thanks. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Magnetic Clamps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetic Clamps   Magnetic Clamps Empty

Back to top Go down

Magnetic Clamps
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Technical Pages :: Tips & Tricks!-
Jump to: