TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I made the searchlight this morning - I found the body of one without its stand, so made the stand from brass and wood. Also added the 'collar' to the funnel, and gave it one coat of paint. I think It will have to do without the grill at the rear as I can't seen any way of fabricating that - etched brass would be the only way I think. I decided the decks required another coat of grey, so that has been done and the mast now has its lamp platforms in place with their stays. Its had one coat of paint and is waiting for its lamps. I think I can make those, so that will be the next challenge Rolling Eyes.
Here is my searchlight
US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1022
and the current status with funnel and mast just for the photo - not fixed.
US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1023

Barrie

Looking at that photo, I think the searchlight is too big Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for that Barrie, it seems we have to be quite inventive in using what other folk throw away Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 2:41 pm

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1024

This is what consumed most of my modelling time today, plus some painting of other fittings, I couldn't find the right style of anchor at the size I needed so decided to try and make one. The other parts are for the mast lights.  I just have to find suitable materials for the searchlight, or otherwise the one I have will have to do. Looking at the drawing its much too big. Looking at photos of one actual ship, it may be OK size wise. Rolling Eyes

Almost time to try to cut some vinyl for the 'names' - I fear the letters may be too small for my cutter, but I will have to try.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 1:39 pm

I am gradually adding the final touches. The hull and decks have been given a coat of varnish - matt for the decks, satin for the hull. The mast lights are now made and fitted (one needs adjustment I see from the photos Embarassed) the funnel is glued in place, and the anchor I made has been painted and glued to the deck. I've just realised that I don't have any lights for the nav light boxes - will have to make those next.

Barrie
US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1025 US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1026
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 6:01 pm

superb matey.......just superb.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks Neil. I cut the vinyl names this afternoon and applied them. Then I took some glorious out of focus photos Embarassed Razz Rolling Eyes so you will have to wait until tomorrow to see how they look.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 9:18 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup A little ripper Barrie  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 5:49 pm

OK, some almost in focus shots with the'name' in place. Rolling Eyes

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1027

You will notice I've decided its an Army tug - because that is what I had a photograph of Razz I have done a little more painting, varnishing and making fittings, but nothing to photograph. Its now down to the nitty-gritty, so a bit slow.

The only thing I am stuck on is the horns - I can't seem to find the correct size, and I don't have any material or skills to make my own. At the moment the wheelhouse roof looks pretty bare.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 am

awh barrie..............she's gorgeous, matey.....................a really lovely build.

a horn........think laterally.............a golf ball tea cut down with a small piece of tubing cut to go at the other end of the trumpet filled with filler.........has worked for me in the past.

neil.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 7:30 am

nhp651 wrote:
awh barrie..............she's gorgeous, matey.....................a really lovely build.

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 IAgree  what a lovely little boat   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 Thumbsup US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 Clapping
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 7:33 am

nhp651 wrote:

a horn........think laterally.............a golf ball tea cut down with a small piece of tubing cut to go at the other end of the trumpet filled with filler.........has worked for me in the past.

neil.
That's an idea Neil - if I had  Golf T lol!  It might be easier to find than a horn though. I was trying to think of something the right shape.

Thanks,

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 8:48 pm

What size is the horn Barrie? 

Mark..
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Windy - I'm looking for a pair about 16 - 20 mm long. I think I've now found some on the Cornwall Model Boats site  - I thought I had searched exhaustively, but its seems not, so will be ordering a couple along with some more cleats and anything else I can find to 'dress it up' a bit. I was sure I had a fire extinguisher, but can't find it, and it needs some clutter. Wink

Otherwise its about finished. I have re-installed the propshaft, motor and ESC. Just need to fit the receiver and then its ready for ballast.

As you will see from the photos, it also needs a good clean Rolling Eyes. The last job I did was to sand some plasticard  Shocked

Barrie
US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1028 US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1029
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 10:55 pm

A little ripper Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Damien wrote:
A little ripper Barrie. 
haven't heard that little phrase in a long while Damien, and I have to agree matey........it's bonza!! Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Perhaps Wee ripper is more appropriate?  lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks guys - I have now located and ordered some horns and other items to add to the model. I also intend to rub down the hull with steel wool to remove some of the shine, then it will be finished and ready for ballast and test.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Final bits arrived, have been painted and installed  Thumbup All ready now for ballast and sea trials - this might have to wait a while.

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1030 US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1031 US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 100_1032

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm

what a glorious little model.........have thoroughly enjoyed the build and really do like the boat itself..........perfectly formed, executed and looks great

Hope you get many many hours of enjoyment from her.

neil.ThumbupThumbupThumbupThumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks Neil - it was a nice project. Hope to get it in the water in the New Year if the weather permits.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:53 pm

I took advantage of the milder weather we are having and set up the test tank yesterday. Putting the tug in the water it floated almost exactly on the water line, with a slight list to starboard due to the weight of the ESC. About an once of lead sorted that, so its ready for its maiden voyage.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 7:35 pm

The tug finally had its maiden voyage on Sunday. As I expected, its overpowered - planing tug anyone? It was so overpowered that it was difficult to keep the throttle low enough. Other than that it sailed very nicely, and was admired by the club members.
I have now replaced the 385 motor with a 260, and will try to replace the 7.4 volt LiPo with a 6 volt AA NiMh, if I can fit it in the hull. If not I will have to buy a hump back 6 volt pack.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: US Army & Navy 45ft Tug   US Army & Navy 45ft Tug - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

US Army & Navy 45ft Tug
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2