TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DIY tiller arms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

DIY tiller arms Empty
PostSubject: DIY tiller arms   DIY tiller arms EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 am

This subject popped up on another forum. figured it was actually worth writing a dedicated post about it here.

WE all know that you can use a 3 pin plug prong to make a little tiller arm.. they arnt bad but they are chunky, and not always suitable for the job, 

A method i use, especially on things that go very fast and loosing your rudder function is NOT an option is to make up a plate tiller arm..

Very simple to make, all you need are strips of 6mm wide 1mm brass, nut bolt and 2 washers (m3 work best), + 1 drill bit to the same size as your rudder shaft (or what ever you wish to move)

First thing to do it just to simple mark up where you want yout bend to start you need some material to fold over the bottom.
 Simply fold over one edge of the brass over the bolt, this will give you the form which holds the bolt and nut, next mark just up from the bolt the entry point for the rudder shaft and drill it out to the right size through both levels of the brass, YOU much ensure that the rudder post will slide through WITHOUT touching /fouling the bolt, but it be VERY close 1/2mm is best!

Next just cut a slot in the bend to meet the hole you just drilled out and widen it slightly with a file, you want at least 1mm of gap.

Then just drill a series of holes up the length of the arm to suit your needs. these arms can be as long or short as you like!!

you can shape it later once happy with it. 

To fit it.. just slip a nut and bolt with some wasters each end through the folded edge and slip it onto the shaft through the drilled hole, then tighten up the nut and bolt.
 The slot you cut will allow the brass to flex enough to actually dig in and grip the shaft. 

Simple, cheap, no threaded grub screws, no rusted grub screws, easy to actually do up tight. I've never lost a rudder or rudder function through using one of these, but i have with 'shop purchased ones!''

The photos below are the exact same method but used an M4 nut and bolt with 8mm wide brass strip (as these going on a boat which has an M5 sized rudder arm)

DIY tiller arms 148
DIY tiller arms 232

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com

DIY tiller arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY tiller arms   DIY tiller arms EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Like that very much Aron.........cheers for the demo. neil. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

DIY tiller arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY tiller arms   DIY tiller arms EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 am

Beaudy mate  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

DIY tiller arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY tiller arms   DIY tiller arms EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 11:14 am

Grate Tip RR.
Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DIY tiller arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY tiller arms   DIY tiller arms Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY tiller arms
Page 1 of 1