TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calmac Ferry RUM

Go down 
+4
Tug--Kenny
Stevercboat19
carlmt
barriew
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

I think I have finally solved the plastic to plastic glue problem by using some PVC glue I bought for foam board Thumbup Now it's just a matter of getting the mechanism to work  Rolling Eyes. I think that by pushing on the flap I can lower the main ramp, then later drop the flap. I just have to work out how to make the fittings for the end of the push wire and fixing to the flap.
I could still do with a better 'push rod'. The bowden type cable I am using is really too stiff. Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally it will bend easily through almost 90 degrees. I have tried bicycle brake cable which is even stiffer.

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0915

I have also been painting fittings and building the mast structure. Looking at photos of Rhum I find it has four ventilators, and the prominent water tanks shown on the plans hardly appear. I am hoping to use one pair of ventilators to work as turn buttons to hold the upper deck in place.

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0916

There will proably not much more done for a couple of days as our new car arrives tomorrow lol! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 1:32 pm

eeded to take a break from trying to understand all the gadgets on the new car - really need a 6 week training course Shocked Laughing, Also my model cars arrived from China - took only a week.
They are not what I would have liked, but the only 1/48 th cars I could find other than these were detailed diecast models at crazy prices. These are rather too shiny and also left hand drive! They will get a coat of Satin Cote to tone them down.

The bridge structure is done and painted. I have made the mast and will fit it and the railings once the paint is hard. I made some water tanks today ready to be fitted when the paint has dried. I have just ordered a 'snake' to see if that is more flexible than the bowden cable. I still need to make the ventilators into catches to hold the upper deck, then I will refit the props and get it into the test tank. My aim is to take it to Deans Open day next weekend, even if not completely finished. 

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0917
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 3:35 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
carlmt
Midshipman
Midshipman
carlmt

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I look forward to seeing this at Deans next weekend Barrie!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 6:05 pm

I have currently given up on motorising the ramp so that I can get ready for Dean's this weekend - looks like Sunday will be the day as rain is forecast for Saturday. Crying or Very sad
I have fixed 5 of the chinese cars to the car deck, completed the mast structure and refitted the props and tank tested it. It required quite a bit of lead to bring it down to the water line.
As for the ramp, I was trying to use a mini servo for reasons of access, but have decided that I need a full size one. Thumbup This necessitated moving the battery box - the battery now fits across the hull. I need to make a strong mount for the servo, so have ordered some ali sheet to make one that I can screw down to make a firm fixing.
I need to do some painting and re-cut one name for the bow as one of the letters came off the first attempt, then it will be ready for Sunday Thumbup .

Pictures tomorrow.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Rhum is now in a fit state to take to Deans if the weather cooperates lol!
I have finished painting the ramp, the dinghy now has a cover and the crane is almost ready to fit. I have started on the navigation light boxes, but these are mounted on 'poles' away from the wheelhouse, so will take a bit of thinking about Rolling Eyes I still need to make (or buy) a couple of bollards and a radar. I have found a flood light which I will fit to the front of the wheelhouse.

Barrie
Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0918 Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0919
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 3:31 pm

The weather was at least dry, although there was a serious gale blowing over Farcet Shocked lol! It was so bad that Carl was reluctant to put his Ferry in the water. I hesitated before launching the Calmac, but in the end it sailed well - at least in the forward direction. It will not move backwards Embarassed Maybe bigger props are required?

Here are a couple of photos taken with my phone so quality is not brilliant.
Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 Img_2010 Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 Img_2011

Here is a short video - I hope.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Just brilliant Barrie........ I only hope that when I get round to it, her sister ship Eigg pops out of her shell as perfectly formed as yours...........

just great to see these lovely work horses immortalised in miniature..........

I really do think she is beautiful Barrie. well done. neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks Neil. I think if you do build yours it will be more accurate than this. I started building it from the Model Boats plans, but then started looking at photos, and its obvious the plans were very much 'stand off'.  Shocked

I hope to crack the ramp this week as my Alli arrived whilst I was at Deans this morning. It was good to meet Carl and his Father - his Ferry looks magnificent. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 am

A great work of art Barrie well done.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 1:47 pm

I'm almost there 2thumbsup I spent an hour or so this morning making a super servo mount, only to realise I hadn't checked it would fit in the boat  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked. So on to Plan B, and using the ali I made some straps to hold down the servo. There is tremendous force on the servo arm, which I think distorts slightly. I probably need to strengthen it, or find a metal one. However, IT WORKS  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Here is some video. Its a bit quick, and although I could operate the Tx more slowly, I think I will see if there is room in the hull for my Action Servomorph left over from a previous project.
I still have to finish the connection to the 'flap'. I hope when that is in place, I can drop the ramp, then lower the flap separately.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 pm

That's lovely.  cheers

Well done a super piece of engineering.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:17 am

What a wonderful little project,and build sequence.Glad it has all worked out for you. Just one adverse comment I cant see any links,or any way of viewing your videos,which I would certainly love to see please.
Looking forward to your next build and blog!
Mick F.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:41 am

Mick, Not sure why you cant see the videos. They are embedded, but here are the direct Photobucket links

https://s1371.photobucket.com/user/barrienw/media/VID_20150913_115119570_zpsop0ilohv.mp4.html

https://s1371.photobucket.com/user/barrienw/media/TRIM_20150912_150914_zpsejd8cg9x.mp4.html

Barrie
Back to top Go down
carlmt
Midshipman
Midshipman
carlmt

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Was great to meet you Barrie and to see the Rhum 'in the flesh' as it were!!! 2thumbsup

A wonderful model and I do hope that you manage to get something sorted for being able to go backwards.....was thinking about this afterwards and it may be that the underhull shape is blanking the force of the water in reverse.  The step where the shafts exit the hull may be too severe as the water (in reverse) is hitting the step and then being forced downwards.  Would it be possible to somehow slope this step?

Here are a few shots I took on the day (sorry for the poor quality of my camera phone....)

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 WP_20150912_12_00_29_Pro_zpstyon7sdv

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 WP_20150912_12_04_47_Pro_zpsb111p3mf

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 WP_20150912_12_05_25_Pro_zpskpcxlbbx

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 WP_20150912_12_05_30_Pro_zpsjwvqtekz

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 WP_20150912_12_05_35_Pro_zpsenihebgl

2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup

adengel likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks for the photos Carl. I was quite surprised to get the video as usually trying to sail and video is a nono Laughing

I don't really fancy trying to alter the shape of that step - the propshafts come through there. I will try with larger props. If that doesn't solve it, maybe it will be a forward only ferry!!

I started work on the final connection to the 'flap' today, but got interrupted before I had finished. I have changed the servo with one with a stiffer arm. but it still distorts. I think maybe a more powerful servo is called for - these are just standard ones.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 5:31 pm

I have decided to try a more powerful servo and have ordered one offering around 11kg. I wont do any more until it arrives - maybe on Wednesday.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 12:18 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 3:51 pm

My new servo plus some new cable arrived on Wednesday but it was only this morning when I got an opportunity to work on Rhum again  Crying or Very sad After one false start, I finally achieved my goal  2thumbsup The ramp and flap now operate as I wanted and as I believe the full size version worked. It is now possible to drop the ramp approaching the landing ramp, then when it touches drop the flap to complete the access route.
I have used my Action servo slower and end point adjuster, and it now works well - maybe it could still be a little slower, but that can be adjusted. The only jobs left now are to make the navigation light boxes, then check the paint and apply some varnish to unify the paint finishes. I'm not sure if I need to paint the chains - they look rusty to me. Next time I need to order some fittings I will probably add some life belts to go on the ferry, but they are not essential.

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0920 

And a video of it working.

Here's the link if you can't see the video

https://vid1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag293/barrienw/VID_20150913_115119570_zpsop0ilohv.mp4

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 am

Ripper job Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 7:47 am

Glad to see you got there in the end Barrie, a nice build, I have been watching with interest 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Had it on our lake this morning. The ramp works well - at least it  did after I had unstuck it. Embarassed  The paint and varnish applied after getting it working had stuck it up, and the flap wouldn't drop. Rolling Eyes   A bit of lubrication helped, but after getting it home, I found the cable had a tendency to dip between the clevis and the tube, so I have put in another support for the end of the tube.

It still doesn't want to go backwards, and is very sluggish forwards, so I will swap the props for 40mm. I have some but they are all the same hand, so to test it I will reconfigure the motors to work the same way, before buying a new prop with the other hand.

This is the final arrangement of the servo. The navigation lights are built and have had one coat of paint, so the end is in sight 2thumbsup .

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0921
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 am

top stuff barrie. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 1:55 pm

In fact the last photo is NOT the final one Rolling Eyes I have turned the support under the cable through 90 degrees, so that the cable cannot sag Thumbup Reliable operation new every time  2thumbsup
Tried it again on the water today, but still wont go backwards. I don't think it was any quicker forwards either with the 40 mm props, and having them the same hand made direction control difficult.
 I think the next step is to replace the 260 motors with 280s - I think the can is the same size so should be relatively easy Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Great build 
I'm just about to build this. So good help reading this. I may scale it up a bit so it's may be 750mm long will see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 12:08 am

if you do scale up mark, i think we would all like to see your build, the more the better. and welcome to the site too.
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:12 am

Thanks very much. Yer I will defanatly just waiting for the plans to come though and I will start it.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 am

Give some thought to modifying the angle of the 'step' at the stern. As far as I can see it is that which is preventing any backward motion. The 280 motors didn't seem to help, and with outwards turning props, I lost directional control on Sunday. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Yer I read what you had put. Will look in to that
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 pm

What scale are the plans anyway ?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm

1/48th - have you actually bought them yet? You could buy mine for half the Model Boats price.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Yes I have unfortunately. Should be here tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Today I tried it with 2 x 280 motors and the original 30 mm props, but turning inwards. This gave a good turn of speed forward, and great manoeuvrability, BUT it still wont go backwards. This of course is a major problem for a ferry designed to sail onto the slipway and back off Rolling Eyes

For the moment I am going to leave it. The only idea I have is to change the angle on the prop shafts and try to bring part of the props below the hull. I would probably need a pair of 40 mm props for this.

A final photo showing the 'ramp' to guide the cable into the sheath. 

When I return from holiday I will start my next model.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 100_0922
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Still not had my plans through. 
 But looking at your hull..I think I'm going to lessen the angle of the part in front of the probs. Or like you say angle they slightly different .
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 9:46 pm

So ha e been awayfor 4 now back and going to crack on with it.
Justquick question how did you work out the angle of the front bow as in the plans its.not clear at all yours looks more angled in than the plans
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Im going for 1/35 scale as well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 10:35 pm

good scale...........plenty of fittings available on the maret if needed.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 7:32 am

Markrider wrote:
So ha e been awayfor 4 now back and going to crack on with it.
Justquick question how did you work out the angle of the front bow as in the plans its.not clear at all yours looks more angled in than the plans
Good question! I think I went 'wrong' by making the bend in the sides vertical. It isn't clear on the plans, but I think it should be angled - there is a dotted line on the plan, maybe this is the bend line. It would be worth mocking it up in cardboard to see if that is correct. My model certainly has a narrower ramp than I think it should have.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 8:05 am

Barrie I used nylon cord bricklayers and carpenters use to show levels to good effect for raising and lowering the ramp on my Landing craft Tank perhaps worth a thought.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:22 am

Where do people get there ply from ? 
Also yer I saw the dotted line and wondered that not very clear is it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:43 am

I get mine from a balsa/ply supplier in Sth Australia really good quality and reasonable price. I'll have to look them up again I lost all links when my hard drive took a dump last week.

Found it  http://www.balsacentral.com/about-us/
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Mark - are you in the UK? I got mine from Maldon in Essex as its not too far away from me. Balsa Cabin is the name of the outfit. SLEC in Norwich also sell liteply as do GD Models in Nottingham, although I think they call it Lightply.
If you need web sites I'll get them for you, but have to dash now.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Barrie
Yes I'm in Kent. 
 What size ply did you use. ?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Mark,

I used 6mm for the hull. The original was built from 3/16th ply which I thought a bit heavy. I will scan the original article from Model Boats if you would like it. If so let me have your email address. 
The rest of the model was built from various materials including plastic card, foamboard and other thicknesses of liteply.

Not sure if there are any liteply suppliers in Kent. Balsa Cabin and SLEC do mail order.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 3:37 pm

HI Barrie that would be good. 
I will PM you my address
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 4:50 pm

HI Barrie I have sent you an email on.here

Mark
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Taking advantage of having the test tank set up for the Tug, I decided to see if the ferry would go astern if I kept the revs very low. The answer is yes - at least in the tank. Not sure what would happen in the lake with wind blowing. However, I think it is worth fitting a pair of larger props - a proper handed pair this time - and trying that. Next time I send an order to CMB I will add a pair.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Ar ok yer worth a try. 
Ihavnt started mine yet but straight after Xmas will get started. I have all the wood so ready to go. 

Mark
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 pm

As I mentioned on another thread, I have been experimenting with an Arduino microcontroller. The task I set myself was to 'automate' the ramp movement. By that I mean get precise motion without precise movement of the Tx control. Ideally I would like a three position switch on the Tx, but failing that, putting the stick fully up sends the ramp fully up, put the control in the top half of its movement sends the ramp down, and putting the control below the half way point drops the flap. All these movements are carried out slowly.
The cost of the equipment in the boat was £3 - cheaper than a Servomorph. 
I'll get some video soon.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi Barrie 
oh that sounds intresting , i have just started to looking in to Arduino  as every one seems to be talking about it,
looks like a cheap way of doing good things,
i have started my Rhum now i have put the build blog on here also on another site :-)
 its coming along and i want to think about the ramp now before i get to far can you post some video of it and some infomation

many thanks
Mark 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry RUM
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next