TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josie Olsen

Go down 
+3
barriew
troutrunner
Roadrunner
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Josie Olsen - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 6:32 pm

2thumbsup  proper scratch built stuff Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 12:23 am

Thanks Paul.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 am

As the eyelet rides on a 3mm thread I added 3mm i/d tube which will be cut so it sits midway between the 2 drive gears.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4068_zpsa7frnicf

First primer on engine parts.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4070_zps2upusrkc

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4069_zpstsayu6z0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:49 am

And the bow planking.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4067_zpsistvyq35
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 6:43 am

Its good to see this progressing again Damien. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks mate.  Josie Olsen - Page 3 2302161080
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am

The start of something good there Damien 2thumbsup  I love the look of nicely planked decking 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:26 am

The planks will take some sanding the darker planks are .5mm taller than the lighter ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Bow planking completed next is sanding smooth and trimming to shape.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4074_zpsuz5ib4oz

Wheel axle supports glued in place & Gallows assembly glued in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4075_zpsmu1j4she

Cylinder and valve assembly together and primer'd.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4076_zpswcij2e6e 

And then it hit the fan and the air turned blue as I berated my self for not checking a third time when I placed steel blocks in place to hold the Gallows to the base whilst the epoxy dried the next pic shows the pencil line the Gallows should be aligned with.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4077_zpsdmroezrh

The 4 paddle shaft bearing blocks were all I could salvage, a new template has been made for the gallows structure.

Start again tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 9:06 am

New gallows coming along nicely with the first one I made the angle template from 1/8" as the plan suggested this one I used 1" 25mm as seen in pic's

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4081_zpssi8kmino

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4080_zpsvdutv9g9

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4083_zps3ka2joiv

Cap strips in place and mounted on the base plate.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4082_zpskmbhh7ny

Wheel axle bearing blocks in place with short piece of 3mm silver steer shaft to hold them aligned.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4084_zpsu96m7fhk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 12:14 pm

Engine/drive assembly coming together nicely.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4086_zpseovwivc1
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 8:30 am

2thumbsup  Looking good Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks Paul. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Brass centres for the drive gear wheels today's effort, 2 x 6mm x 25mm brass bolts chucked in lathe drilled 3mm through the centre for the axles the 2 nuts were cross drilled 2.5mm and tapped 3mm for grub screw to lock the to the axles, after cutting them to length with a 20mm dremel cutting disk the bolts were slit cross wise to the depth of the nuts to allow the grub screws to clamp the bolts to the axles.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4088_zpsvtsszy2f

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4087_zps3hscfu9k
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 3:23 pm

as troutrunner says....great stuff......I am fascinated by this mechanism you are constructing..............look forward to seeing it all.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 1:16 am

Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 am

Drive wheels on their axles with the con-rod to the beam.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4096_zpsgynjtp6i

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4095_zpskcxyuotn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 10:05 am

Cylinder/valve assembly glued in place on the gallows base.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4098_zpsrnuawwng
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Don't switch the sander on Damien!!! lol! lol! lol!

Looking good though, can't wait to see it all moving..

Mark..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 4:27 am

Have hit a snag the 3mm to 2mm coupler for motor to worm drive was a little over size on both diameters and the 2mm rod waved all over the place and jammed in it's bearing so I've had to order a 3mm to 3mm uni-joint and will turn a 3mm to 2mm i/d adapter bush to accommodate the 2mm shaft. 

This pic. Shows the alignment problem.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4100_zpsp2mtyjf2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 7:39 am

A change to longer bearing tapered one end to clear drive wheel,with oil hole in the centre, the bearing final position to be determined by the length of the uni-joint.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4107_zps2mo1ynf4

The alignment is almost spot on with little work for the uni-joint.

A motor change was also needed being salvaged a cordless drill was a bit slow with the worm drive at 50:1 output would have been 68rpm on the wheels  a speed 600 motor brings it to around 95rpm and this motor is no where as noisy as the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 8:39 am

The deck planking looks good after sanding it will be somewhat darker after clear coating it.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4109_zps6aedfhxn
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 9:47 am

2thumbsup  Neat work Damien,  Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks Paul.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySun May 01, 2016 7:33 am

Forward bulwarks 2 pieces of 3mm x 12mm x 140mm  pinned together. I guessed the shape as the plan was obscure, the cut outs hand drawn  and shaped with a 6mm sander tube in the Dremel.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4111_zpsz7zqmekw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 3:57 am

Gave the the beam a walk this morning with cordless drill turning the wheel axle without the valve and engine hooked up apologies the video on my finepix camera is pretty ordinary.

click on the pic.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 Th_DSCF4121_zpsnvwi9uud
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 7:18 am

2thumbsup progress, it moves ok, is it next for the motor to be fitted ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 9:10 am

Yes the motor is a work in progress finished the piston and valve gear this arvo.
I have a problem with the elcheapo plastic gears are not concentric and bind up the drive system when the nuts are put on the second gear.
I'll try to source some 60mm dia 50:1 brass worm or spur gear sets.

If anyone knows where to access these gears please let me know.
Apologies again for video hard to work camera and drill at the same time.  lol!

Again click on the pic.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 Th_DSCF4122_zpscfet0jg8
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 9:45 am

Hmmm I have some 1.5mm brass plate perhaps cutting 2 circles 6mm smaller in diameter and using 2mm bolts to pull the gears true may be the cheapest way out.

Last edited by Damien on Fri May 06, 2016 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Damien

http://www.hpcgears.com/

This company has a wide range of gears - not sure if they ship to Oz.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks for the link Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 

Spent an hour & a half looking at the site and not found anything suitable.
I've decided to cut 2 brass discs, one will replace one of the gear wheels the other will attach to the remaining reasonably true gear wheel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Grrrr the brass to straighten the warped gear wheel worked however after bolting it all together the air turned blue as I discovered not only were they warped but also a good deal out of round as this pic shows.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4126_zpsrvhmkrcd

When my blood pressure lowered and I calmed down to where rational thought process is achievable I decided on belt drive, incorporating the brass discs.  Using a pill bottle lid as a mold I cut 4 slots 90deg apart then filled it with car filler known as bog in Oz.

The splits in the lid were for easy removal of the pulley plug.

I usually rattle the mold up & down to remove air bubbles but had used a bit much hardener I got some bubbles I had to leave it sit a while as it got too hot to hold.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4128_zpsywrjzbgx

Filler was used to fill the screw thread around the periphery.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4131_zps3bfrtfic

I usually rattle the mold up & down to remove air bubbles but had used a bit much hardener I got some bubbles I had to leave it sit awhile as it got too hot to hold.

Using some 1/4sq high speed steel I ground a cutter to use for the pulley groove.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4133_zpsazsr4ph3

More bubbles were exposed while turning and I filled using a different colour hardener.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4135_zpslcy5icwy
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Thumbup  mechanno gears maybe next time, ebays always got a load on for grabs somewhere, and they do have some in larger sizes from the older stocks that pop up.

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2016 8:47 am

Worth a look Aron.

For now onwards the pulley of yesterday machined to 1/3 thickness the cutter ground to 3.5 mm wide and the new groove looks good, the brass 6mm bolt was soldered to the disc then used as jig for drilling 5 x 2mm holes for attaching to the filler pulley and 1 x 3mm hole, once done a 30mm hole saw was used to remove the centre to save weight.   

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4138_zpslxtjas36

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4140_zpsrcrmphkg

Note :- the angle of this shot makes it look out of round but it's spot on.

[URL=https://s250.photobucket.com/user/GardnerDG/media/Jose%20Olsen/DSCF4137_zpsikldjjoe.jpg.html]Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4137_zpsikldjjoe

I'll brush some polyester resin in the groove to abate wear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2016 8:02 am

Thought I wouldn't get out today being Oz mothers day but managed sneak out and got in a little time and made this motor pinion pulley, I'll hot weld the belt when I've decided where & how to mount the motor.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4142_zps6pfybm6d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 8:56 am

The cut lines on the pulley bearing block to clear the inside of the drive pulley.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4143_zpsqh4ydspl

with a 20mm saw blade in Dremel flex driveI cut to the lines had 2 minor  ooop's no swearing just glad no fingers in the way.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4146_zpsrkdgis1x

Cut and sanded to shape.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4145_zpsejycjqfr

The nut on left brass wheel needs replacing as both grub screws stripped the threads otherwise it went together easily the connecting bolt between the 2 brass wheels is 3mm stainless steel with nyloc nuts inside and out of the left wheel left one turn loose to accommodate any slight wobble.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4148_zps4sroo7uf

As can be seen in this video it runs smoothly.
Just click on pic.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 Th_DSCF4149_zpshfugyz9b

Also got the bow bulwarks on today just need cap strips.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4150_zpsbygmjh9g
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:10 am

Looking good Damien - back on track I think. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:17 am

I sure hope so Barrie.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 9:43 am

Cap strip in place pinned whilst glue dries.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4153_zpspuggmis3

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4154_zpsf9sra0av
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2016 2:55 pm

No pooter looks like the new power supply installed about 2 months ago has died will have it looked at tomorrow.

I  spent most of today in the shed lots done unable to process picks on SHMBO'd's pooter though taking pic's will post when I can.
Damien.  Sad

All fixed Dud HDMI either cable or video card
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 11:20 am

Motor tray pivot.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4164_zpsdkgtxqae

Assembled.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4167_zpseuxrc0bi

Diameter of main pulley made larger as on 4 volts paddle speed shaft was 790 rpm.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4169_zpsixzx3sou

Motor & Gallows assembly temporarily in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4170_zpsimpqjyke
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 7:36 am

Coming along nicely Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyFri May 20, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks Paul I'm happy with it now thinking on how to get the correct curvature of the superstructure port starboard & bow to stern.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 6:51 am

Slowing down in line with the weather getting colder and awaiting parts from around the globe.

The 6mm brass lock nuts on the drive pulley and join plate were drilled and tapped 3mm and the 3mm long grub screws kept stripping the threads in the nuts whilst browsing ebay I came across these flexible joints and the brain gears started grinding lol. For $1.99Au you can't go wrong I chose 6mm to 6mm and bought 2.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162052671794?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=461019172767&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With a dremel + cutoff wheel I removed the flexi middle then cleaned them up and machined them down on my lathe they give the 2 discs fitted with 4mm grub screws as pic shows.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4177_zpsxhfgvy0r
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 8:28 am

2thumbsup Those should work well, dad used the slimline with the rubber sleeve versions on a his runabout that only had 10mm of space for a coupler, the soild ones should get the job done for u no probs

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 am

2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 am

Finally back at it weather is warming up got some planks on the stern deck using a 1mm recycled paper cardboard as a pattern I bought it on ebay and I plan to use on the cabin sides and roof as it's lighter than wood.

Josie Olsen - Page 3 DSCF4336_zpssq2w2vod
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 6:59 am

Good to see you've started work again Damien.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 am

Hard to concentrate with loud ringing in left ear seems tinnitus has replaced the sinus infection damned annoying guess I have to get used to it.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 am

I've lived with that for more years than I care to remember. Its no so bad some of the time, but others it is very distracting.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Josie Olsen
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Paddle Boats-
Jump to: