Share | 

giant shark closure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: giant shark closure    Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 am

with regret i have to announce that giant shark has ceased trading apparently its to do with the buissness no longer being financially viable. which sucks they always had great deals!

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/giantshark.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:52 pm

It is always sad when we lose any model supplier but it was not really unexpected, I reckon the writing was on the wall when Hobby king opened a UK warehouse. No way to compete on price...

Mark..
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:53 pm

sadly, until they actually went to the wall and it was on here and mayhem I had never heard of them.............
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Only problem with hobby king is if you go to pick an item ( this applys to the British people) on the hottbyking.com site then select the UK warehouse the price goes up,  yes you don't have to wait nearly as long for delivery... but i hate that they have a nice little loop hole to jump up prices just because its closer to you, that's cheeky as sin! and you have to add P&P on top.. gotta watch these nabs..

example ...

£26.39 + P&P ( Note that the .com website has the price in GBP! to start)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17899__HobbyKing_Swamp_Dawg_Air_Boat_ARR_.html

select UK warehouse...

£35.27 + P&P

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=27055

All items are the same, some are a few quid extra others are upwards of £10 + hey dont belive me try it on any item for yourself and see!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Ahhh, so you have noticed that as well, it is one big rip off (all for a slightly quicker delivery time) but they will continue getting away with it as long as we keep buying from them, so we have no one else but ourselves to blame..... 

Never bought from them & probably never will either... 

Not that I have much time for boat building now  Sad Sad Sad

Mark..
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:26 am

The price you finally pay is actually determined by Paypal. Whatever the currency shown on an item, when you buy, the total is in US Dollars, and is converted by Paypal, or your credit card company. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose depending on the differing exchange rates. It is also cheaper to buy small items from the European warehouse. There is only one delivery option from the UK - Parcelforce at over £5. From Europe for small items the cost is just over £1.
I only buy small items, servos, receivers etc and have never noticed such a significant difference in prices quoted.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
inertia
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
Only problem with hobby king is if you go to pick an item ( this applys to the British people) on the hottbyking.com site then select the UK warehouse the price goes up
You'll find it's the VAT.

If the item is sent from outside the EU then it's tax-free, and the VAT should (theoretically) be charged when it enters the EU. In practice that depends on who the carrier is; whether they can be bothered to file a Customs entry for such low-value goods, and whether or not any value has been declared by the sender. If it's Royal Mail not only will you get hammered for the VAT but the little darlings will also stick on an extra £8 Handling Fee. On the other hand you might well get away with no VAT and no handling fee - not everybody does their job zealously. USPS and UK Parcel Farce are notoriously inconsistent - for example:

We once bought a consignment of motors from the USA which was packed in three identical boxes (i.e. same contents, quantity, value, weight, Tarif code, mother's maiden name - the lot). They were collected by the US Parcel Service and immediately went under the radar. The three boxes arrived quite separately; one with £18 VAT charged and one with £33 VAT; neither of these values was actually anywhere near correct. I had to collect these two from Parcelfarce's local depot, a week apart. The third box mysteriously by-passed the whole Customs and freight systems of the UK and the USA and turned up delivered to the house, VAT and fee-free!

Buy the item from within the EU then the seller has to charge you whatever rate of VAT applies in the country where the item is sent from. Which makes it initially more expensive than buying it from China. So now you know. Like everything else in life, blame the foreigners or the bl**dy taxman.

DM (Retired Senior Officer, HMC&E)
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:03 pm

That's good to know, there i thought they were adding some extra import tax or 'handling' fee on top

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: giant shark closure    

Back to top Go down

giant shark closure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Lake Side :: At The Lake Side-
Jump to: