TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RMS Titanic

Go down 
+12
Kleban
pugwash
Ole Vauger
AlanP
Santos
mattycoops43
GWA84
Mark
cpt jack sparrow
DickyD
Footski
Tug--Kenny
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

RMS Titanic - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Is'nt it supposed to sink!! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 12:40 pm

ooh you are awful Jack.

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Not until it's varnished............... Wink Wink Wink

Ken
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:36 am

Today I put her back in the water and placed house bricks in the bottom of the hull until she floated below her water line. The total weight that this hull will take is 21 pounds. I even pushed her down further with my hands to test the buoyancy, which flooded her.

As the top deck weighs 2 pounds I figured she will need around 15 pounds in the hull to balance out. This of course turns her over so the weight will have to be suspended below the bottom of the hull an unknown distance.

I am loath to drill a hole through the bottom of the boat, or to fit bulky brackets to continue the experiment with how deep the weight should be suspended so I've decided she will be a Non sailing vessel.

I have a few 'pretty' items to go on and complete her so she might make a good display model

ken
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Seems a shame not to make her sailable mate and as for depth of the false keel 4 to 6 inch will be adequate even at that short distance her stability will be absolutely perfect its the leverage effect with more weight below the rotational point than above it even a very stiff wind won't make her roll and the brackets for the keel could be as small as 1/2 inch ali angle about 1/3rd of the hull length thus spreading the load on the bottom of the hull and as a bonus making her straight line sailing characteristics legendary
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for your faith Phil. We'll see how it pans out.

Regards

ken
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Not really faith mate just a simple trust in physics and some experience in load stresses. looking at the keel inside the hull you have a very strong load bearing beam there and if you join the ali angles to a 1.5mm flat plate to get the correct seperation and a single line of 4mm bolts up through the keel with another plate above it you will have only strengthend the keel not weekened it. if you can't follow what I'm describing here let me know and I'll do some detail drawings for you
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Yes, that would be the way to approach it. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Very Happy

Cheer for now

Ken
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Yo Kenny found a site you may be interested in...

http://titanic-model.com/

Should keep your ''love affair'' blooming for a little while longer.

RR

Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

Thank you RR. I think this was the first site which caught my heart. Wink

I'm in the Titanic research Society now, and if you though 'Rivet counters' were particular then this one is an eye opener.

Today fact .... Did you know there was a Ship's Cat. It has a name which escapes me at the moment.

Ken
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 pm

It would be very nice to see it on the water Kenny but on the other hand it would be sad to see the model spoilt just to do it.

You do have a ships cat on it, dont you?

Alan
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Yes. She will be called 'Jenny' as well. Cool

Ken
Back to top Go down
DickyD
DickyD

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

So what happened to your Titanic Ken ? RMS Titanic - Page 3 Thinking1
Back to top Go down
http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Dicky.

She's in pride of place above the workshop bench. At the moment she's pending a hull rub down to reveal the windows !! (all 520 of em !) and then some way of painting the hull without covering them up again. Shocked

I approached this the wrong way around and now paying for it. as the problem was so massive, I shelved her to get on with my next build.

The Tug 'Lady Wooes' is now finished (all but) and up and running on You Tube.

If you look closely you can see Titanic above the work bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFvVpzmg8hk

Have a nice day. Just got back from a McDonalds large meal. lol!

ken
Back to top Go down
DickyD
DickyD

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:38 pm

I have done portholes in the past by sticking clear plastic over the hole on the inside of the hull and filling the hole on the outside of the hull with two part, five minute, epoxy resin. Bit tedious but it works. RMS Titanic - Page 3 Tumb
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:53 pm

The window holes are now filled with clear epoxy and flush with the hull. My idea was to lightly re-paint the black hull and then scrape (somehow) the windows clear again but the paint was rather thick.

I shall have to rub down the hull to reveal where the windows are and re-think the situation. I had thought of tiny circles of stcky tape over each one and then re-spraying, but the work involved is immense, and the results are not guaranteed.

ken
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey Kenny

As you haven't glazed those portholes yet, could you not get some fibre optics set into some of them? Just a thought.

Regards Norseman
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:22 pm

The clear epoxy is the glazing and it's flush with the outside edge of the hull. This makes painting again a problem. I did paint first and then glaze but the stuff leaked through and ruined the original hull paint so I had to sand it all down flush again.

This is where I am at the moment. Wondering how to acheive a nice hull finish and clear windows.

ken
Back to top Go down
DickyD
DickyD

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 pm

So what happened next Ken ? RMS Titanic - Page 3 Thinking1
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am

She's still on the shelf after the bad news.

RMS Titanic - Page 3 Newsbo11
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

The plan is to do another, but larger. I'm working on collecting more details and better plans.

Perhaps the next one will be better. (but then we all say that lol! )

regards

Ken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMS Titanic   RMS Titanic - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

RMS Titanic
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3