TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Building a boat stand

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Building a boat stand Empty
PostSubject: Building a boat stand   Building a boat stand EmptyMon May 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Someone a while back asked me to demonstrate how to make a boat stand, today I've taken it upon myself to finally after much promise to make a post on how to make a boat stand.

The stand I've made is all made from scrap ply and a bit of pine doweling, its not a pretty stand by any means just simply an demonstration exercise. although I needed a new stand for the current project I'm currently working on this will become my template for that boats final stand later down the line.

First thing first make up some blanks using some ply, they should be as wide as the widest part of the hull at least, but over size is always better, this allows you to have some play with the material later should you need it, and as high as you can to ensure that all running gear clears the floor and fingers, I normally measure the base of the rudder to the base of the keel (rudder entry point into the hull) and add 10mm (remember the rule:- ''its easier to remove material then add it back later!'')

Building a boat stand 118

Next job is mark up on the blank the centre point, this is where the KEEL of the boat should later be in line with.
after you have found the centre point you have to get the hull shape of the boat.
There are many ways to do this...

I normally opt to make a cardboard template of the hull, this is good method to practise with.. however this time I've opted to use some brass wire and bend it to the hull shape in the locations i wish to have the stand supports... in this case 3500mm apart.
then simply trace the shape of the brass wire onto the blanks TOP edge..

Building a boat stand 119

Building a boat stand 120

Now at this point you can decide if you want to give the sides a decorative patten or use the side edges to secure the two uprights together with a mortice joint.  (these type of stand tend to be the strongest, so if your model is Extremely heavy i would opt for this method to secure the uprights together and fix the lot to a base board)
However this boat is not overly heavy and as i only want the uprights as templates for later i've opted to use the dowling to secure the uprights together, adding to its attractivness.
but for now until that point to make the sides pretty and less blocky, i've make up a cardboard template for a shape i like which i've transferred to the 2 blanks.

Then cut BOTH blanks at the same time using a fret saw, this ensures the cutouts are the same and then in this case as i'm using doweling to secure the uprights together drill out 4 holes to take the doweling.

Building a boat stand 121

Once the cutouts are done you can now cut the hull shape from the blanks. take your time and be sure once they are cut to keep checking them to the hull and there location on the hull to ensure they fit snuggly, but allow for a spongy pad to be stuck to this edge later,. so slightly over size is good.

Building a boat stand 122

Once you have the 2 uprights finished, sanded etc you can now cut the doweling to length. now remember here its 3400mm between the upright spacing, so always Check your spacing for your own uprights, because if the spacing is wrong then the uprights you just cut out may not fit the hull shape.
Then you can glue 4 dowel rods into one of the uprights. if the holes are tight enough you only have to tweek them to square them up. be always Check SQUARE on both X & Y axis !!!

Building a boat stand 123

Then you can glue the other side on.

Building a boat stand 124

If you want to ensure the dowels do not break the glue joint later you can carefully pilot some holes into the uprights so they line up with the dowel edges and put a pin nail through both upright and dowel, once the glue dried both the glue and pin will keep that stand good for years providing its not abused. ( see the black dots on the uprights those are the pin nails)

Building a boat stand 10

Building a boat stand 125

If you got it right the boat should sit on the stand LEVEL, Square and look rather good. if yout still worried that the stand may collapse you can screw the uprights to  a base board if you desire. ( i always do as i make up boat boxes so a base is actually required!

Building a boat stand 126

Now as i said this stand is a template for a final one for a current project, the finished one will be much prettier and in mahogany or ebony. however this stand with some filler, primer and a few coats of paint would look equally attractive and being made purely out of scrap material costs pretty much next to nothing to build.

This is as I said one of many ways to make a stand, this demonstrative is how to make a simple attractive one so I hope it helps!

RR

Last edited by Roadrunner on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typosims)

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com

PostSubject: Re: Building a boat stand   Building a boat stand EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 7:38 pm

i like your method RR..............mine usually fall apart within weeks, lol.............they look substantial indeed. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Building a boat stand   Building a boat stand EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 7:48 pm

hehe trick is not to build boats so big and heavy Neil  cyclops cyclops Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com

PostSubject: Re: Building a boat stand   Building a boat stand EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 8:02 pm

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a boat stand   Building a boat stand Empty

Back to top Go down

Building a boat stand
Page 1 of 1