TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Great Lakes Freighter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Great Lakes Freighter Empty
PostSubject: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 pm

This is a totally different build to the others I have going, it starts on a flat piece of board, a pine shelf actually, both Bow and Stern are built up from several pieces of ply. The base (pine shelf) is where I started, today I rough cut the ends on my table saw. The bulkheads can be made in different ways according to the plan, I have chosen the method of angled pieces of ply with braces top and bottom.

The Base, rough cut.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1664_zps3da46559

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1663_zps596d831e

And the bottom braces and the ply pieces that need shaping.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1665_zps4685e623
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I have been busy cutting more bits, this time for the bow and the stern, these are made up of several pieces of ply.....

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1682_zps22a79549

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1683_zps5977484b

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1685_zpsf1edf447

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1686_zpsd0b24a46
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 6:59 pm

A bit more done here, getting ready to fit the sides.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1687_zpsf06ac5d4

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1689_zpsc9270e67

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1690_zpsc787ebb8

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1691_zpsb1478e98

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1692_zpsa801e051
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 am

It's coming along.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 8:22 am

The interesting thing is Damien, it is a completely different build to the other two, if fact all three are so different. I never realised that there where so many different ways to build a model boat, not sure which method I like best yet, the more complicated is the method Eileen is being built on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:27 am

Paul,
Any number of modelers building the same model will all use different methods and materials to construct a model the nit-picker rivet counters couldn't tell apart that's what makes it so interesting.

,Eg: my Lady of the lake paddler has balsa bulkheads and spruce stringers the rest is 2mm Screen printers card.

We are always refining our building techniques as we learn to build more and spend less.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Sides on now and building up the rear end, I have made the hole for the prop to fit through.

Sides on and all clamped up.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1700_zps8499e7b9

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1708_zpseb9ed309

Cut pieces of ply for building up the stern.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1707_zpse83acf6e

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1711_zps530e2a66

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1712_zps1d587d83

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1713_zps9cb45dac

Full Ahead likes this post

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 pm

The hull is now complete Thumbup next job involves a bit of carving, in the plans there are templates for profile gauges for the stern, so now I have to work out the positions at which they fit.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1716_zps0302be88

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1717_zpsce5ac8f0

For the top laminate of ply I made edges to lift it to give the slope of the deck, there was a space in the centre, to fill and glue this I used the expanding Gorilla glue that I had bought. I taped and clamped it solid but still some escaped.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1718_zpsf3fc7478

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1719_zps9916441a
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 6:34 pm

I have been doing a bit of carving today, getting bottom of the hull into shape 2thumbsup

These are the profile gauges for the stern, each one fits in accordance with the plan, this could take a little while to get right.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1767_zps15ff301e

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1766_zpsf25214bb

The front and sides still need a little work but I'm happy with the progress.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1765_zpsd144584b

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1764_zps775a00fb

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1763_zpsa248acd6
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 11:56 am

Marked the relevant places for the profile gauges which are all numbered so as not confuse me.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1771_zps64e7ec76
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Coming along nicely Paul.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks Damien  Very Happy

I've been putting off the shaping of the hull for about a week, but finally bit the bullet and the first side is nearly there. 2thumbsup

I have two sheets of ply, 1/16 & 1/8, ready for the decks, cabins and upper sides of the ship front and back Thumbup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Not updated here for a while, I have been carving the stern, not the easiest of jobs, I certainly needed the profile gauges that I took from the plan. I also fixed the stern tube in central position.

This is where I am at present with the shaping of the stern, still a bit of work to do but getting there. I made a little fopaux which neede some wood putting in, I think it will be OK.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1810_zpsa5dddba7

The Stern tube in place just before sticking with Epoxy Resin, I like this stuff but it's hard to get a neat job.
I did screw the motor down first, with proper alignment.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1809_zps2967b297

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1808_zps551c3a99
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Not done much over the last couple of weeks as I have been laid up with the flu...........

A little better and back to it Thumbup I had more or less finished the shaping of the rear end before my illness. The plan says use a 1/8 x 1/4 brass or pine for a keel, I chose brass and used 3/8 x 1/8  and also made the rear end stepped to accommodate a reasonable propeller and a skeg as a rudder guide. not sure if I am right or wrong here but time will tell. If anyone know better please let on 2thumbsup

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1890_zps464570ad

It's not fixed yet, I need to sort the rudder first.
Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1891_zps7102f44f

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1892_zps00e2a59c

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_1893_zpsac502e4f
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 1:36 am

Enjoying this blog nice to see some calving methods to achieve a nice looking hull  2thumbsup

Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 am

Coming along very nicely Paul.
Keep posting the piccy's 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 am

what ever happened to this Trout?

troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 am

It's still work in progress and will resume September/October time.

I just have to much to do in the summer months, the garden, old cars, old motorbikes holidays............the list goes on, I have more projects than time left to do them but I like to be busy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 8:45 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 11:21 am

dam that pesky summer demanding all that time away from boats lol!

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
dam that pesky summer demanding all that time away from boats lol!

That's the trouble when you have a big plot of land it's quite demanding. These photo's are from a while back, it's a bit tidier now and the sheep have gone, only a few chooks remain.

Great Lakes Freighter 000_1159-3

Great Lakes Freighter Land003

Great Lakes Freighter Land005

The front garden as it was...........
Great Lakes Freighter D571d099-58ef-4348-81e9-5a0001809fae_zpsyh161w8y
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 8:03 am

As promised, now back to the boats, a bit later than anticipated but it was a nice longish summer.........

I had a tidy up yesterday and look at things on this boat. I made a place for the battery to sit and am at present planning out where the electrikery bits will fit before fitting some of the deck. The plan is to put the on/off switch under one of the many hatches.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2222_zpsstxe5uog

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2225_zpsm8ixhoqf

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2226_zpsouw5r9bw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 8:11 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 8:53 am

A bit more done, I decided to put the ESC and the receiver in a forward position near the battery and I have put a tube made from a part of a roller blind, super gluing the split that the blind fitted in, it's for the wiring to the servo and motor to go in.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2261_zpsa52rqjwi

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2262_zpszn105ihi

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2263_zpsar7tpzun

I have also made a start on the forward cabins, I am going to put in some LED lighting inside and Nav. lights front and rear, I have a hole for the wires in the centre of the cabin area to the battery drilled in readiness.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2258_zpsmzb1rgyp

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2259_zpsr5fotynd

Fuses will be fitted to isolate both motor and ESC plus all other electrics.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2260_zpsgpkdu1pa
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 12:38 pm

A little more progress, I have been messin' with the Main deck and false hatches. Three section are removable for maintenance access, there will be one more piece of the main deck at the stern that will be removable for access to the rudder linkage.

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2280_zpsmv8krf9y

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2288_zpsymh4q1k5

I have to trim the edges of the removable bits

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2289_zpsae7bgnnb

Great Lakes Freighter SAM_2290_zps2sforqx1

Just one more hatch to do but this will lift off and reveal the on off switch. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 2:18 am

Any more progress on this?

troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 am

Soon with a bit of luck, have had a bit of Ex trouble, ground work and fences (fences to keep her and her dogs out), once we have divided the land I can then get on with my life................

All I need to do is build a bench and shelves to house all my kit and then I can get on with my boats. 

Watch this space (not to long I hope).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 pm

I must be waking round with my eyes shut, as I have missed this mighty build as well, but what an amazing build it is..........

enjoying it thoroughly and will take notice of builds more. neil.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks Neil, I'll be back at it soon with a little luck.................... santa before he's due to come down the chimney I hope.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 6:10 pm

i'm a bit the same myself with the ferry at the mo. sod all enthusiasm, as my retirement day is getting oh so close, and the thoughts of getting astride a beamer  rt 1200 tourer beckons lol.
Back to top Go down
Richard
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Great Lakes freighter by roadrunner.   Great Lakes Freighter EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 6:53 pm

Hi all. I have just joined and found this build of something I am feally interested in building. Alas to my disappointment it seems tha the build was never finished. Can anyone update me on this pleas. Or does anyone know where I can get the plans. I am in the UK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Freighter   Great Lakes Freighter Empty

Back to top Go down

Great Lakes Freighter
Page 1 of 1