TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Degees of rudder turn ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Degees of rudder turn ? Empty
PostSubject: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 am

Just a bit of a query.

What degree of rudder turn do folk try to achieve, for instance 45degree from straight ahead or more or less.

This may be a stupid question but without seeing others boats, I have not a clue what is acceptable.

Thanks in anticipation Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 10:38 am

It's really down to the swing of the servo and what you can get away with.  Obviously the further it turns the sharper the boat will maneuver.

Hope this helps

ken
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks Ken,

I understand the workings, including the positioning of the connecting rod as in by using a different distances from the rudder and servo centrelines, if they are positioned at different distances you will get more or less angle on the rudder for the distance the servo moves.

I suppose I didn't make it that clear, what I am asking is, what angle would be best for (1) Fast Patrol Launch (2) Eileen and (3) The Great Lakes Freighter.

:DIt's perhaps a rule of thumb guide I am looking for Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 11:38 am

never measured it before, but just tried on my lifeboat and I reckon it's about 35 degrees maximum on my futaba servos on a standard throw..............I suppose if you lengthen one or other arms you'll get a greater one, but I have always been satisfied with that where the servo and the rudder arms are the same lengths.

neil.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks Neil, sounds reasonable.

Just found this by "Googling" :-

Angular Movement wrote:

Angular Movement

Some builders seem to believe that by having the rudder angle increased will compensate for a small rudder area. This is not true. An excessive angle will make the RC boat appear tippy and unstable when in tight turns. Typically it is best to stay close to the full-scale vessel, which in most cases is +/- 25 to 30 degrees, but not to exceed +/- 35 degrees.

Here is the source :- http://www.building-model-boats.com/rc-boat-rudder.html which is worth a read Thumbup

Other opinions would be welcomed 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
shipmate60
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
shipmate60

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 12:20 pm

You are correct Neil, anything over 35 degrees is assumed to produce drag which can slow a model quite quickly.

Bob
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for your input Bob, you are confirming  the general thought, I will try to get somewhere between 25 & 30degrees on my fishing boat Eileen Thumbup
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 am

troutrunner wrote:
Thanks Neil, sounds reasonable.

Just found this by "Googling" :-

Angular Movement wrote:

Angular Movement

Some builders seem to believe that by having the rudder angle increased will compensate for a small rudder area. This is not true. An excessive angle will make the RC boat appear tippy and unstable when in tight turns. Typically it is best to stay close to the full-scale vessel, which in most cases is +/- 25 to 30 degrees, but not to exceed +/- 35 degrees.

Here is the source :- http://www.building-model-boats.com/rc-boat-rudder.html which is worth a read Thumbup

Other opinions would be welcomed 2thumbsup
Whilst post is a bit dated, link still works and is very helpful and still relevant today.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 pm

raaartygunner wrote:
Quote :
Whilst post is a bit dated, link still works and is very helpful and still relevant today.

Thank you

I do apologise for not posting, I will resume building at some point in the future, I just have no time at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Degees of rudder turn ?   Degees of rudder turn ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Degees of rudder turn ?
Page 1 of 1